Trying to delete something else on my phone calendar, I accidentally deleted my birthday. At first I was horrified thinking I’d set myself up for some horrible omen. But then I started laughing like a deranged person (I blame the flu medication) and wondering if that meant I get to stay 29 for another year. And it made me think about what I would do if I had an extra year. Maybe not now. Or even in 30 more years. But what if at the end of my life I was given one extra year to do whatever I want to with. And that made me think about my bucket list. The things I want to see or do before I die. And so it is….my bucket list.
1. Visit the Galapagos Islands. It is hands down the one place on earth I must go. I want to see the turtles. The birds. The landscape. I want to experience nature. Pure and raw. (p.s. Ewan, you’ll still never get me camping).
2. Create a greenhouse and grow our own vegetables year round. In Ontario our garden season is limited to about 2 months but I absolutely love that tiny window. I want to have a glass greenhouse year round to pick herbs and fresh produce.
3. Write a book. Or two. I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head. They’re desperate to come out.
4. Visit all of the Continents. Maybe on one ‘All around the world’ trip or maybe all spread out. It doesn’t really matter. I just want to visit them all.
5. Meet Justin Timberlake. Was there any doubt this would be included.
6. Meet Margaret Atwood.
7. Witness a baby being born. Preferably human.
8. Be a grandparent. But not for many many years. I can’t wait to spoil them rotten, fill them up and sugar and send them home to their parents. Not that my parents do that now. No, not at all. (I’m looking at you, mom).
9. Buy a bottle of really expensive champagne and celebrate a major moment in life. Maybe like the birth of said grandchild.
10. Change someone’s life in a positive way. I’m not exactly sure what this means, it’s just something I’ve always wanted to do.
11. Attend a major sporting event. Not just a regular game, but something like the Super Bowl or World Cup or the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I’m not a huge sports fan, but I want to experience the energy of a major game and be right in the middle of it.
12. Die my hair red. Someday this will happen. For certain.
13. Walk into a casino and put down a huge amount of money on just one bet.
14. Solve a Rubik cube. I highly doubt this will ever happen, but I’ve wanted to do it since I was a little kid. The people who can solve one in less than a minute blow my mind. Literally. Blow. My mind.
15. Learn to dance. Really dance. For anyone who knows me, I am worse than Elaine from Seinfeld. Imagine little kicks, pointed fingers, the Roxbury head smash. Now imagine all of that happening at once. It is not pretty. It is not good. It is downright horrible. And no one should be witness to it. Someday I will learn how to dance properly. And well. And not embarrass myself.
16. Learn to speak French and Spanish fluently. Again. I used to be able to chat with the best of them, but I’ve since lost my tri-lingual skills. Right now I’d be lucky if I could ask where the bathroom is. Or if anyone knows where I can buy cheese (both very important questions).
17. Go to the Olympics. My dream as a kid was to actually participate in them for Track and Field. Hurdles to be exact. But now I just want to go to them. I want to witness a Canadian win an event and sing at the top of my lungs, with pride, as our National Anthem plays.
18. Donate a large chunk of money to a charity. Anonymously.
19. Learn how to sew (again) and make my own clothes.
20. Fill a kiddie pool with jello. And climb inside. I can’t even explain this one and it seems absolutely ridiculous, but I have always wanted to do it. Everything about it just screams ‘this has to be on your bucket list’.
21. Create a blog of my own. Not for work. Not for any specific reason. Just to have a blog where I can write. Post pictures. Do more things like this series. And not care if anyone in the world reads it at all. It would be solely a place to get my thoughts out of my head. Express the random things I think about in life. Write.
22. Go to an amusement park and ride every single ride. Preferably without throwing up.
23. Visit Auschwitz.
24. Celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. 60th. 70th. With cake, obviously.
25. Donate my hair. I know it’s taken me 3 years to get it long, but I realize it’s just hair. One day I will cut it off and donate it to someone who needs it more than I do.
I wish I had 30 but there’s still time to add more. I hope in years to come I’m able to cross many off and add others. With only a few hours left until I turn 30, there’s no time like the present to get started…..
- Brianna (photo by Ewan)
Toronto Wedding Photographers. Leica M9